Skip to main content

Stoicism: Modern Approach to An Ancient Wisdom

Initially, I prided myself in staying away from conventional big brand religion and this is where Stoicism hooked me away. Apparently because it is simple to apply, quite practical and its association with inspiring leaders who applied the principles of Stoicism in their daily lives. 

As an individual who was almost depressed by contemplating on existential crisis, I came across various beliefs of which stoic was pragmatic. Existential crisis made me question a lot of things including my own believes and quite frankly, I was never satisfied with answers that were given to me. The questions were endless. What would constitute a credible belief? What are believes made of? What exactly is it? What do we really talk about when we talk about believes? What does it mean that you have beliefs? How are believes structured? But then I had to make peace with the overwhelming depressing questions over existential crisis. 

All these made me understand one thing, and it is exactly this: how existential crisis affects every individual is entirely subjective. 

Just this year, I challenged myself to reading one stoic principle at least a day. Though the principles are endless and exhaustive, below are my favorite principles and concepts of Stoicism in no particular order. 

I intend to discuss:

1. What is Stoicism?
2. Underlying Virtue of Stoicism
3. Concluding Remarks

1. So What is Stoicism?
Stoicism is an ancient system of philosophy that has a pragmatic approach to life. In other words, it is an operating manual of life that helps people overcome their obstacles. The starting point of any new pursuit is critical and stoicism is no different.

In its rightful place, Stoicism is "a tool in the pursuit of self-mastery, perseverance, and wisdom: something one uses to live a great life, rather than some esoteric field of academic inquiry" (DailyStoic). 

2. The Underlying Virtue of Stoicism
    i) Courage
I want to know what category you put yourself into, which is why it will occasionally send difficult situations your way. Think of these not as inconveniences or even tragedies but as opportunities, as questions to answers. Do I have cojones? Am I brave? Am I going to face this problem or run away from it? Will I stand up or be rolled over?

Seneca would say that he actually pitied people who have never experienced misfortune. “You have passed through life without an opponent,” he said, “No one can ever know what you are capable of, not even you.”

3. Concluding Remarks
The slow, repeated and constant exposure to Stoic wisdom eventually breakthroughs you, and helps you chisel away your faults and limitations, one day at a time!